Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My favourite things about Christmas



There is so much I love about Christmas but Christmas during a recession brings a great deal of extra pressure to people. Buying presents to impress and treat family and friends can quite simply break the bank and there really is no need for it in the current economic climate. When I look back over Christmas' of past I have always been given beautiful presents but there are many other things about Christmas' gone by that have stood out and made them special. I urge everyone for the future to try and shift the emphasis from giving and getting presents to enjoying spending time together and just relaxing. Because there is nothing relaxing or enjoyable about entering the new year in debt is there? Of course this is much more difficult when it comes to cutting down on buying children presents, but for buying for adults we all know about cost and the recession so we should be able to enjoy a Christmas with a little less expenditure.

The things that make Christmas special for me:

-The decorations. Once that Christmas tree goes up Christmas is underway and it's something I associate with fun and magical times. I constantly talk about my love of fairy lights they're just like twinkling stars to me
-The food. There's no food I love more than my mammy's Christmas dinner. There's something really special about sitting round with your family enjoying home cooked food
-Curling up in front of the fire watching Christmas films. My favourites are Home Alone, The Santa Clause, Elf and Charlie and the Chocolate factory. They haven't played Home Alone on tele at Christmas in years though, they're always playing Harry Potter and Love Actually now instead
-The Music. Singing and hearing Christmas songs instantly makes me smile. My absolute favourite is The Pogues Fairytale of New York. Ellie Goulding's version of Your Song on the John Lewis add although not a Christmas song is also beautiful to listen to while getting in the Christmas mood.
-Anything snow related. We don't get snow every year but when a white Christmas arrives it's just magical. I love making snowmen, snow angels, snow ball fights...
-Visiting and spending time with family and friends. This is really what the Christmas season is about for me every single year.

Whether or not presents arrive, Christmas is still Christmas when I get to enjoy it with the people most special to me. What makes Christmas special to you? Is it the smell of Christmas cake cooking or putting up your favourite decorations...

P.s. Image property of thriftylilpixie
P.s.s Follow thriftylilpixie on Blogspot and Bloglovin'
xox
Share:

3 comments

  1. Christmas music makes my list too. I spent a good part of yesterday getting my Christmas party mix together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm following you!
    loving your blog, and i'll be back for sure!
    have a merry christmas and happy holiday!
    and come visit COSMICaroline for some more holiday cheer!!

    -COSMICaroline
    COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I agree, we should cut down buying presents for adults, and should concentrate more on spendng time with each other.

    My favourite thing about Christmas is definitely watching Christmas films by the fire.

    Hope you have a fantastic Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading xox

© thriftylilpixie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig