Sunday, June 17, 2012

Trend: Crop Top



June has brought huge change to my life, I received my final undergraduate exam results, I have just begun my 4 year postgrad and I moved house once again. It's a very strange feeling to begin a new stage in life, but hopefully postgrad life will be as enjoyable and memorable as my undergrad years were. With all that change I didn't get much time to blog, plus I was internet less while moving house, but I'm back with my take on the summer 2012 trend for crop tops.
 


Crop tops are everywhere this summer, gracing many catwalks including Prada and Gucci, the high street is awash with cropped tees, corsets and bandeau tops and they've been worn by countless celebs like Katy Perry, Jessie J and Lady Gaga. Do you have what it takes to brave the midriff bearing, abb demanding, confidence challenging crop top? If like me your answer is no, fear not because anyone can wear a crop top with confidence with just a little layering. Belly bearing is something I leave to the beach, so I've paired my cropped tee with a plain white ribbed vest and jeans.


Tips For Wearing  Crop Tops

  • Feeling comfy wearing a crop top is all about what you wear with it, so you can bear some skin without feeling self conscious: pair your crop top with high waisted bottoms. Prada's bandeau tops with high waisted pencil skirts is a great example. Try a loose cropped tee with a long high waisted skirt or some high waisted shorts
  • If your wearing a fitted cropped corset, why not pair it with something loose, like a voluminous tulle skirt or a pleated maxi skirt
  • If you would rather not bear your stomach, crop tops have great layering potential, layer over longer tees or jersey maxi dresses
  • Crop tops are a great excuse to add a fun touch to your outfit so why not bag yourself one in a colourful pattern or a studded corset version a la Versace
  • They can be worn day or night, try a jersey tshirt style for a relaxed day look and a studded or sequin version for a glam night time look 
  • If you don't have the cash to splash out on this trend, it can be achieved by taking an old comfy tee of your choice and shortening with scissors, no sewing needed! The cut away fabric can be used to make a cute hair tie by cutting into a long rectangle and knotting in a bow :) Likewise you can make a cropped sweatshirt with a snip of your scissors, very FAME!
Outfit details: Crop top (River Island, few years old), jeans (handmedowns), Shoes (Primark €4), Bag (FCUK, birthday present), sunglasses (market in Lanzarote €7)

Have you tried the crop top trend, how do you style it?
Hope everyone is having a great weekend
xox

P.s. All images property of thriftylilpixie

Share:

3 comments

  1. It's good to see crop top wearing doesn't have to bare all - I'm quite self-conscious about my middrift, I'd never show it off save for the beach! The print on this one is lovely mrs! would look lovely with a high waisted pair of denim shorts perhaps? ♥ Claire @ Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool blog,good for you making time for a blog post at such a busy time and congrats on your results and securing a postgrad too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the print on the crop top! i don't have the confidence to completely bare my whole belly so I usually style crop tops with high waisted trousers, maxi skirts and denim shorts :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading xox

© thriftylilpixie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig